header image

Wonder: Review

Posted by: | March 9, 2013 | 18 Comments |

I have a wonderful blogging buddy Mrs Hembree who has her very own blog called the Bulldog Readers.   Mrs Hembree recommended me and other bloggers if they get the chance to read this book called Wonder.  This novel is truly an inspiring read.   If  you get the chance to read this novel  I strongly believe that you will love it for lots of different reasons.

This novel is about a young boy named August Pullman who is ten years of age.  August is just like most young ten year old boys he loves eating ice cream, loves playing his  X Box ( Play Station)  and most of all he loves Star Wars.  Unfortunately August has  abnormal features where he doesn’t look like the rest of us.

He has many huge challenges from example going to  the local school and most of all trying to be accepted as a normal ten year old boy.  If August had one wish he would wish for it would be to change his features.

I found after reading this novel at times quite sad and then at other times quite up lifting.  After reading this novel I felt that looks really don’t matter it’s the person that counts.    We need to realize that everyone is special no matter what they look like.

Thanks Mrs Hembree for a wonderful novel to read.

What are you reading at the moment?

Can you please give me a short review about the book you are reading?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48973657@N00/4556156477

under: Uncategorized

1. By: Mrs Kathleen Morris on March 9, 2013 at 5:39 pm      Reply

Hi BB,

This sounds like a great book. How kind of Mrs Hembree to send it to you!

I am actually between books at the moment so I will have to go to the library soon to stock up.

I think I might look out for Wonder so I can read it to 4KM and 4KJ.

Thanks for taking the time to write the review. I like how you included the special message of the story without giving away the actual details of the book.

Do you do independent reading in grade five?

Your former teacher,
    Mrs Morris

• By: BB on March 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm      Reply

@ Hi Mrs Morris,

Thank you for taking the time to write on this post Mrs Morris.
      I feel this book is a wonderful read and I think you would enjoy reading it to your grade.

Mrs Hembree didn’t send me the book instead I do remember Mrs Hembree doing a post I think on her blog about this book. Then one day mum and I were out shopping where we saw, it so we decided to buy it.
      It has taken me this long to read it as I have so many books that I want to read. What kind of books will you be borrowing from the library Mrs Morris?

Hope you have been keeping cool during this heat Mrs Morris.

Yes we do independent reading in grade five Mrs Morris.

From your former student,

BB :)

• By: Mrs Kathleen Morris on March 9, 2013 at 7:34 pm      Reply

Hi BB,

Whoops, I didn’t read your post carefully did I! I’m glad you were able to find the book that Mrs Hembree recommended.

I enjoy reading true stories although lately I have been reading some books about babies. You know why! :lol:

I hope you and your family are keeping cool too. I have had the air conditioning going a lot at home and at school.

Best wishes,
        Mrs Morris

• By: BB on March 11, 2013 at 8:14 am      Reply

@ Mrs Morris,
          Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

It does not matter if you did not read my post carefully.

I sure do know why you are reading books about babies.

My family and I are keeping cool. Yesterday I went on my best friend’s Slipping Slide it was so much fun we had boogie boards.

BB.

2. By: Merry Beau (Class Teacher) &2nd Class Room 6 on March 9, 2013 at 8:25 pm      Reply

Hi Bianca,
    That is a great accolade that you give the book ‘Wonder’. Now we will be looking out for it. It sounds like it has a powerful and important message.
    We are reading ‘Bill’s New Frock’ by Anne Fine. It is about a boy who wakes up one morning to find he is a girl. Though it is a funny book, it has an interesting message about the difference between the way society treat boys and girls. It is suitable for seven to nine year olds, perhaps.
    With every good wish
    2nd Class Room 6 & Merry Beau (Class Teacher)
    http://www.merrybeau.edublogs.org

• By: BB on March 11, 2013 at 8:17 am      Reply

@ Merry Beau,

I think you would enjoy reading the book Wonder.

I will look out for the book Bill’s New Frock it sounds so funny and interesting.

BB.

3. By: Mrs. Hembree on March 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm      Reply

Dear BB,
    I am so thrilled to read your review of Wonder! It is one of my all-time favorite novels for middle grade students.

I agree with Mrs. Morris. You presented the book, without giving away the details. You sold it, but didn’t give it away! Good for you!

I think you read the book at the right time. I have often bought a book, started it and then put it down. Sometimes, everything has to be just right to read a book. Then when I pick it up again, it’s perfect!

I just finished reading Almost Home by Joan Bauer. I also recently read A Dog Called Homeless. Both were about serious topics, but also had dogs! Yea for dogs!

I have one question for you. When are you going to write a book, BB?

Your librarian friend,
    Mrs. Hembree

• By: BB on March 11, 2013 at 8:24 am      Reply

@ Mrs Hembree,

That is awesome it is one of your all time favourite novels for middle grade students.

Thank you for saying I did not give the book away.

I was reading another book during Wonder which was Mary Kate and Ashley I love their stories.

That sounds like a very sad book A Dog Called Homeless. I am making some connections to the title.

At a school we have these puppy and kitten books and they are all based on a pet that gets lost (Homeless) and a person finds that certain pet and keeps the puppy or kitten.

At school I have wrote a story called Survive it is about a Girl who goes night surfing and drowns while in a rip.

BB.

4. By: Victoria on March 16, 2013 at 3:51 am      Reply

Dear BB,

I completely agree with you that Mrs, Hembree has a great blog, and it is so nice that you found a book that you enjoyed.

Your post is very timely as I am just about to go to the library with Miriam and Sarah after school. We will definitely ask the librarian for this book.

Both Miriam and Sarah are reading Tom Sawyer at the moment. It is a more difficult book and so we are all reading it together.

Your posts are always great. Keep up the good work. How are you liking Grade 5?

All best,
    Victoria

• By: BB on March 17, 2013 at 7:17 am      Reply

@ Victoria,

That is awesome that you agree Mrs Hembree has an awesome blog.

I am glad you will ask the librarian for the book Wonder.

I have not read the book Tom Sawyer book before. That is great you all are reading Tom Sawyer all together.

Thank you for saying my posts are always great Miriam’s and Sarah’s posts are awesome.

Grade 5 is awesome I just love it.

BB.

5. By: Mrs. Hembree on March 17, 2013 at 10:34 am      Reply

Dear BB,
    When am I going to be able to read the story you wrote? I bet it’s really great.

Tom Sawyer is more difficult for sure. I might make more sense if you read Huckleberry Finn first.

Mrs. Hembree

• By: BB on March 17, 2013 at 5:51 pm      Reply

@ Mrs Hembree,

I am writing on my new laptop I am so happy I got a laptop.

Thank you for writing to me and saying Tom Sawyer is too difficult.

I will read Huckleberry Finn first it sounds interesting.

BB and her new laptop.

6. By: Victoria on March 18, 2013 at 12:47 pm      Reply

Dear BB,

I really like your post. My favorite book series is about Ramona. It is a about a girl.
    who never listens. Once she spilled the tooth paste in the sink. Another time she was snoring in kindergarten class. My favorite one is Ramona and her mother. Have ever read the books about Ramona by Beverly Clearl?

Hannah

• By: BB on March 18, 2013 at 3:35 pm      Reply

@ Hannah,

I am so glad you like my post. I have heard about the book Ramona.

That is a bit silly spilling tooth paste in the sink. I can all ready make a connection to when she spills the tooth paste in the sink.

I remember once that I was out with my friend at church Sunday school we had to pick someone which was an adult. The adult had to pretend he was a robot. We had to teach the robot to brush his teeth. So my friend told the adult (robot) that you have to put toothpaste on the toothbrush but before my friend could say toothbrush the robot (adult) spilt tooth paste on the floor there was a massive splat of toothpaste.

I have not read the Ramona series by Beverly Clearl but they sound so funny and interesting.

From your pal,

BB.

7. By: Raymond on March 20, 2013 at 7:12 am      Reply

Dear BB,

I have not seen your blog in a while it looks very cool! I am reading a book called How to train your dragon: A Hero’s Guide to Deadly Dragons.

• By: BB on March 20, 2013 at 7:33 am      Reply

@ Raymond,

Thank you for saying my blog looks very cool. I have heard of the book and movie How to Train your Dragon A Hero’s Guide to Deadly Dragons. I have not read the book How to Train your Dragon.

Are you enjoying the book?

Why are you enjoying How to Train your Dragon?

BB

8. By: Mrs. Hembree on March 20, 2013 at 1:55 pm      Reply

Dear BB,
    The How to Train a Dragon books are popular in our library. Do you like fantasy or dragon stories? Yes, to either, and you might like them.
    I saw the comments about Ramona. If you like those, have you tried the Clementine books?
    Mrs. Hembree

• By: BB on March 21, 2013 at 3:59 pm      Reply

@ Mrs. Hembree,

I would rather like to read Dramatic, Teen Love books for example I am reading a book called Marly’s Ghost it is based on about a boy and his girlfriend dies and feels like his life is over.

I have not read the Clementine series books before hopefully I will one day.

From your pal,

BB

Leave a response

Your response:

Categories