header image

Sovereign Hill

Posted by: | April 14, 2013 | 95 Comments |

Recently as a birthday gift I got to choose  what I would like to do for my birthday and I decided I would love to go to Sovereign Hill with my parents. We had to drive to Ballarat which is an hour and a half drive from where I live. This will be my third visit to Sovereign Hill with my parents.  Sovereign Hill is where you step back in time not to the 80′s or the 90′s but to the 1800′s (Gold Rush days). This is a wonderful place where you get to experience the life of the Gold Miners. Ballarat is famous for the Gold rush. It all started back when a miner found gold. Then 8 years later a number of Cornish miners found a huge piece of gold which is known as the Welcome Nugget. I got to go under this mine on a tour my heart was thumping so hard and I had mixed emotions. I can’t believe how those gold miners survived without fresh air and fresh supplies and yet the did.

Here is a photo of me making my way down the Red Cliff Mine

Many Gold Miners  did not live for long the reason been while working under the mines dust would build up and the miners would breath in this dust resulting to lung infections which eventually would lead to their death.    When the Miners had finished their  work for the day many of them lived in tents living conditions were cold,wet,damp and just plain miserable.

Here is a photo of me standing outside one of the miners tent. It is very cramped and dusty and when wet everything would end up getting wet.

As we walked around the township of Sovereign Hill you got the chance to visit different shops. The township had many shops for example a candle making stall, a saloon (bowling alley), post office, local school,black smith and the best store of all was the lolly shop.  I was very lucky that I got the chance to make a wax candle and buy a lovely jar of boiled lollies. I also got the chance to meet some of the locals for example  the local police officers , The troopers and the local women.

Here is a photo of me and a lovely lady we met where she invited us to inspect her home. Her home was very neat and warm because she had a huge open fire.

The main form of transport back in those days was Horse and Carriage which we did see. We had to make way for the horses. We saw some   very special carriages which were only used for funerals. They were very grand looking.

Here is one of the funereal carriages.

I had wonderful day but I am so glad I was not alive during the 1800′s because I do not think I would not have made it as a gold miner.  I did get the chance to pan for gold which I am sure I did find some but some how  the gold did get washed away down stream for some one else to find.

Have you ever been to a tourist attraction that takes you back in time?

under: Uncategorized

95 Comments

1. By: Mrs Kathleen Morris on April 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm      Reply

Dear BB,

Happy birthday!

Sovereign Hill would have been a wonderful place to spend your birthday. I have been there a couple of times and I always enjoy it. There is so much to learn, see and do.

It sure sounds like you learnt a lot about life in the gold rush days. I agree with you, I don’t think I would have survived as a miner. It was a hard life!

Are you looking forward to the school excursion to Sovereign Hill? Is it this term or next term?

Best wishes,
    Mrs Morris

• By: BB on April 15, 2013 at 5:31 pm      Reply

@ Mrs Morris,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

Thank you for wishing me a “Happy Birthday”.
      That was so very nice of you to tell Sovereign Hill about my post thank you so much.

It sure was a wonderful place to spend my birthday.

I sure did learn a lot about the miners, how they looked for gold and how they used to live.

I am looking forward to the school excursion to Sovereign Hill.

It is in Term 2.

BB

2. By: Mrs. Lynch on April 15, 2013 at 3:38 am      Reply

Dear Bianca,
    Happy Birthday to you. I enjoyed reading this post as I love going to Historic Villages like Sovereign Hill. There are 2 in Massachusetts that I like to visit. One is called Plimoth Plantation and is a replica of a village in the 1600s. The other is called Sturbridge Village which replicates a 1790 – 1840s village. It is so interesting to go back in time (just for a day) and see how people lived.

Thanks for sharing your photos with us, Bianca.
    Your friend,
    Mrs. Lynch

• By: BB on April 15, 2013 at 5:28 pm      Reply

@ Mrs Lynch,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

Thank you for saying Happy Birthday. I am so glad you enjoyed reading my post. That is awesome you love to visit Historical places as I do too. That would be awesome to visit Plimoth Plantation it sounds really interesting. So does Sturbridge Village.

It sure is interesting to go back in time for just one day.

You are so welcome that I shared my photos with everyone.

BB

3. By: Sovereign Hill Education on April 15, 2013 at 11:20 am      Reply

Hi Bianca,
    and Happy Birthday from reading the other comments. Mrs Morris tweeted your Blog post to us, and we are extremely impressed with it.
    Are you coming on an excursion? We hope so, it’s amazing how much you already know about the Gold Rush period, but there is more we can tell you if you want to learn.
    Hope the first day back at school goes well, and once again, well done!

• By: BB on April 15, 2013 at 4:37 pm      Reply

@ Sovereign Hill Education,
      Awesome comment and thank you so much for leaving a comment on my latest post. It was such a surprise to receive a comment from the Sovereign Hill Education Team. That was so nice of Mrs Morris to tweet my blog to you. My class and other classes are going on the excursion to Sovereign Hill. Thank you so much for saying ”It’s amazing how I know so much about the gold rush period”. It was my third visit to Sovereign Hill. I just love the lollies they were delicious. Once I start eating one of your lollies I can not stop because they are so delicious. I hope many more people visit Sovereign Hill because it is a must visit place for tourists. I learn something new every time I visit Sovereign Hill especially in the mines. My favourite part at Sovereign Hill was going in the mines and discovering new things. I did not know that the British were racist towards the Chinese. I noticed that the doctors made their own remedies to help the sick patients. Do you think you would last in the mines digging for gold? I do not think I would I think I would pass out right on the spot because I could not breathe in the stuffy dusty air. I feel tragically sorry for the mums,dads and wives who lost their son or husband.

From your pal,

4. By: Mrs. Hembree on April 15, 2013 at 10:47 pm      Reply

Dear BB,

Happy birthday! I’m so sorry I didn’t send you a birthday wish on your exact birthday!

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip to Sovereign Hill to see the gold mine. It’s really interesting to see how people lived years ago. Like Mrs. Lynch, I have been to Plimouth Plantation and Sturbridge Village.

Those places remind me of Sovereign Village because you get to try out life as it once was.

One thing I noticed is that they houses are much smaller!

Do you think it would be hard or easy to live in those times?

Your curious friend,
    Mrs. Hembree

• By: BB on April 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm      Reply

@ Mrs Hembree,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

Thank you so much for saying Happy Birthday to me. It does not matter that you did not send me a parcel on my birthday I do not mind.

I sure did have a wonderful trip to Sovereign Hill. That is awesome you have visited Pilmouth Planatation and Sturbridge Village it must have been awesome. That is awesome those places remind you of Sovereign Village.

The houses are very small during those times.

It would be difficult to live in those times.

5. By: Little Coggs on April 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm      Reply

Dear BB,
    Sounds like you had an amazing day on the 13th of April! You did an awesome post!
    Lots of love ,
    Ashy
    PS go on my blog and check out the post! ashy02.global2.vic.edu.au

• By: BB on April 18, 2013 at 5:06 pm      Reply

@ Ashy,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

I sure did have an amazing day on the 13th of April.

Thank you for saying I did an awesome post. Your blog is awesome too.

FROM YOUR PAL,

BB

6. By: ♥Sarah♥ on April 21, 2013 at 10:57 am      Reply

Dear BB,

Happy Birthday! I really enjoyed reading your post! It sounds like you had an awesome trip to Sovereign hill. I didn’t know that Australia also has the gold rush.

In school, I have studied a a lot on the gold rush, and on how the miners had a hard time digging for gold. We even read a book on it called By The Great Horn Spoon.

Have you ever read this book?

Sincerely,
    Sarah

• By: BB on April 22, 2013 at 4:56 pm      Reply

@ Sarah,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

Thank you for saying Happy Birthday to me. I am so glad you enjoyed reading my post.

I sure did have an awesome trip at Sovereign Hill. Yes Australia does have a gold rush.

In class we are going to learn about the gold rush in Australia. It would have been have tough mining for gold in those days.

I searched up the book The Great Horn Spoon it sounds really interesting.

I have not read the book before. Will have to visit my local library and see if I can borrow it thanks Sarah. Please say hello to your mum from me :)

BB

7. By: Mrs. Y♥llis on April 22, 2013 at 2:04 am      Reply

Dear Bianca,

Happy (belated) Birthday to you! I guess it is nice to spread the birthday out? :-) I have a split class this year, half of them are second graders and half of them are third graders. Consequently, I have been slow with my comments for all! Commenting is one of my favorite things to do, and I’ve missed the interaction. :-)

Sovereign Hill sounds like a fabulous place to visit! I love historic towns where we can learn about the past. It is especially fun when they are living museums where they have people “from the time” working and answering questions. I love that.

Sarah is right about California’s gold rush. In 1848, gold was discovered in northern California at Sutter’s Mill by a man named James Marshall. Although they tried to keep it a secret, word leaked out and soon people from all over got “gold fever” and headed to California. Most did not get rich, but some did. Merchants made quite a lot of money providing goods and services to the miners. Ever heard of a man named Levi Strauss? :-) Check out his connection to the California Gold Rush!

Sounds like you had a rich time at Sovereign Hill! I love how Mrs. Morris tweeted your post to them and they responded!

Thinking of you and wishing you a great new year!

Your pal,
    Mrs. Y♥llis
    California/ The Golden State :-)

• By: BB on April 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm      Reply

:D Mrs Yollis,
      Awesome comment :D and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.
      Thank you for wishing :D me a Happy Birthday.

It sure is nice to spread my :D birthday out.
      I do not mind if you have not wrote :D on my blog for a long time as I know you have been busy with a split class.

I know commenting is one of your favourite :D things to do.
      It does not matter if you have missed the interaction with blogging :D. I feel that when you do interact with your fellow bloggers you always write great comments.

Sovereign Hill sure is a fabulous place to visit. I know how much you love :D Historic towns where you can learn the way of what it was like to live in the past.
      Yes the living museums are the best at historic places. I love to answer the questions :D at Historic places.

I did not know California had a Gold Rush in 1848 that is a very long time a go. I would have :D told everyone that I found gold as I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t make a good miner.

I like the word “GOLD FEVER”. That is interesting many people traveled to California. I do believe :D merchants would have received a lot of money.
      I have not heard of a man called “Levi Strauss” before but he sounds interesting. I sure did have a rich time at :D Sovereign Hill.

Thinking of you, hoping you have a had great year Mrs Yollis.

Please wish your mum a very, very happy birthday. :)

From your poor gold miner,

8. By: Samantha Wesson on April 22, 2013 at 1:53 pm      Reply

Hey Bianca!

Happy Belated Birthday! Sovereign Hill sounds like it would be a really exciting trip. It’s intriguing to see how much times have changed since then. Mining was the way of life for most people during that time period, and their living and working conditions were very different from the ones we have today.

I’m glad you had such a fun learning experience!

Samantha Wesson
    EDM 310

• By: BB on April 22, 2013 at 5:05 pm      Reply

@ Samantha Wesson,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

Thank you for saying Happy Birthday to me. Sovereign Hill is a fun place and it is an exciting trip all rolled up in one. That is a WOW! word “intriguing” I just love it. I will start to use this word in my writing. Have you ever visited a tourist place before which takes you back in time?

I agree with you mining was the way of life for most people during the gold rush days. I am glad that you are glad I had a fun learning experience.

9. By: Victoria on May 3, 2013 at 5:01 am      Reply

Dear BB,

Happy belated birthday. I wish you to continue to have many successes and I hope your wishes come true.

It was really interesting reading about Sovereign Hill. I didn’t realize that there was a gold rush in Australia as well. I agree, that you would have made a good looking miner.

What else did you do to celebrate your birthday?

Your blogging buddy,
    Victoria

• By: BB on May 5, 2013 at 7:14 pm      Reply

@ Victoria,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

Thank you so much for wishing me a Happy Birthday.

That is very nice of you to say you hope my wishes come true.

I will continue to blog still.

I’m not sure I would have been a good miner.

I celebrated my birthday with my family.

FROM,

BB

10. By: DK on May 6, 2013 at 4:05 am      Reply

Hi Bianca,
    I really enjoyed your blog. I am a teacher in Illinois in the United States. My students are just beginning to blog and we found your site. We really learned a lot about your trip back in time to the gold rush days. Keep up the great work blogging. Have a great day

• By: BB on May 6, 2013 at 5:07 pm      Reply

@ DK,
      Awesome comment and so great to hear from you.

I am very glad you enjoyed my blog. That is awesome your students are learning to blog and you found my website.

That is so cool how your class learned about the Gold Rush Days. I sure will Keep up the Great work.

I hope you have had a great day too. What year level is your class?

Feel free to visit my blog anytime soon.

11. By: Kaitlyn S. on May 6, 2013 at 11:29 pm      Reply

It is kind of weird that I’m reading about your birthday on my birthday. We went to a place in Illinois (where I live) like Sovereign Hill but it is called THe Trail of History. Like Sovereigh Hill it went back to 1800 hundreds with blacksmiths and coffin makers which you now don’t find at a corner street. Hope you had a fun birthday.

• By: BB on May 7, 2013 at 4:28 pm      Reply

@ Kaitlyn S,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. That is awesome you are writing on my blog when it’s your birthday.

That would be awesome to go to a place like Sovereign Hill. I agree you do not see many coffin maker shops on many corner shops.

I sure did have fun on my birthday.

BB.

PS Thank you for taking the time to write on my blog.

12. By: Kris Stoyanov on May 7, 2013 at 1:20 am      Reply

Happy Birthday, and it must have been cool to see all of that stuff. I would actually love to see a real mine people have been in. Once again happy birthday.

• By: BB on May 7, 2013 at 4:32 pm      Reply

@ Kris,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. It was cool to see lots of things at Sovereign Hill. I hope one day you do get to see a real digger mine.

Thank you for wishing me Happy Birthday.

BB.

PS Thank you so much for taking the time to write on my blog.

13. By: AW on May 7, 2013 at 1:20 am      Reply

I liked her first blog,she put in detailes how it looked like and gave a question.I know she loves going there because that was her third time.nice bloging!

• By: BB on May 7, 2013 at 4:34 pm      Reply

@ AW,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

I am so glad you liked my post because I put in details and that I gave a question.

I do love going to Sovereign Hill because it was my 3rd time.

BB.

PS Thank you for taking the time to write on my blog.

14. By: M.H. on May 7, 2013 at 1:22 am      Reply

I really liked your blog I thought that it was very interesting to me.

• By: BB on May 7, 2013 at 4:36 pm      Reply

@ MW,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

I am so glad you liked my blog and it was interesting to you.

BB.

PS Thank you for taking the time to write on my blog.

15. By: M.S.D. on May 7, 2013 at 1:22 am      Reply

Your blog is awesome! I love how you included facts on “The Gold Rush”! I love history! I am a student in Illinois.

• By: BB on May 7, 2013 at 4:37 pm      Reply

@ M.S.D.
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. Thank you for saying my blog is awesome. I am so glad you loved how I included facts about the gold rush. Like you I love History too.

BB.

PS Thank you for taking the time to write on my blog.

16. By: N.H. on May 7, 2013 at 1:23 am      Reply

I am from the U.S. your blog is cool. how did you make your blog

• By: BB on May 7, 2013 at 4:39 pm      Reply

@ .N.H.
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. That is awesome you are from the U.S.. Thank you for saying my blog is cool. I won my blog from my former teacher Mrs Morris.

You could ask your teacher how to make a blog.

BB.

PS Thank you for taking the time to write on my blog.

17. By: QF on May 7, 2013 at 1:25 am      Reply

Wow! I really liked how you explained your time on your birthday I wanted to go there myself to! And happy birthday this blog is amazing to read I loved it!

• By: BB on May 7, 2013 at 4:45 pm      Reply

@ QF,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

Thank you so much for saying you liked how I explained my birthday.

That is awesome you wanted to go to Sovereign Hill yourself.

Thank you so much for saying you love my blog that is so kind.

BB.

PS Thank you for taking the time to write on my blog.

18. By: O.C. on May 7, 2013 at 1:26 am      Reply

I thought your blog was vey interesting. it sounded like you had an amazing time. i liked how you explained everything very clearly. Your blog was very exiting to learn about. I hope you had a grest time!

• By: BB on May 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm      Reply

@ O.C,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

That is nice of you to say my blog is interesting. I did have an amazing time.
      I am so glad you could read my writing clearly.

Thank you for saying my blog was very exciting to learn about. I sure did have a great time.

BB.

PS Thank you for taking the time to write on my blog

19. By: P.B on May 7, 2013 at 1:28 am      Reply

I really like your blog because it teaches us about the 1800s. Ive always wanted to know more about that time but never had time in school too see.

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 6:56 pm      Reply

@ P.B,

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving me a great comment. The 1800′s was a very wonderful time for lots of different reason. We can learn so much for the period of time.

I am so glad you like my blog.

20. By: Brianna on May 7, 2013 at 1:34 am      Reply

That is so cool!! The first poast made me think of that yellow gold mind gum that you get in an old little bag. hahaha. well happy birthday and cool blog to.

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm      Reply

@ Brianna,

Thank you for the birthday wish. I think it would have been great if I did find gold on that day I went to Sovereign Hill.

Sincerely BB. :)

21. By: Contessa on May 7, 2013 at 1:35 am      Reply

I think that is a cool place to go for your birthday, Bianca. I wish I could go there during Summer Vacation!

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 7:04 pm      Reply

@ Contessa,

Thanks for taking the time to write on my blog. Sovereign Hill is a must see as I feel everyone should visit this awesome place.

Hopefully one day if you come to visit Australia you can visit Sovereign Hill.

22. By: nick on May 7, 2013 at 2:16 am      Reply

It was vey intresting to see what is in Austrailia. nice job on your grammer

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm      Reply

@ Nick,

Thanks for your great comment. We have some pretty awesome place to visit if you ever come to Australia.

I feel if you do visit Australia do try to visit Sovereign Hill as I feel you would really going back in time.

23. By: david on May 7, 2013 at 2:21 am      Reply

that was an intresting blog you wrote you would be good at doing more of the blog things :)

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 7:09 pm      Reply

@ David,

Thanks for taking the time to write on my blog. I have been blog for a few years now and must say at times it is hard to think of blog post to write about.

Glad you find my blog interesting.

24. By: Kevin M on May 7, 2013 at 2:24 am      Reply

Hi Bianca Im a student in Illinois and we are learning about blogs. Your blog is very interesting. I did not know mining back then was so hard. Now we just use fancy machines to dig everything up. Keep up the great work.
    Kevin M

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 7:11 pm      Reply

@Kevin,

Thank you for you great comment. Yes you are so right mining back in the 1800′s was rather hard. Thank goodness it is not like that now.

Do you think you would have been a good gold miner?

Sincerely BB :)

• By: Kevin M on May 14, 2013 at 2:22 am      Reply

I bet I would have been terrible at mining but I do play alot of games involving mining gold. ps. Thanks for replying. Good work

• By: BB on May 14, 2013 at 6:26 pm      Reply

@ Kevin,

Thanks you for another wonderful comment. I’m with you I don’t think I would have made a good miner. How do you play games involving mining for gold. Is it a board game or a computer game?

25. By: joseph on May 7, 2013 at 2:25 am      Reply

Hello Bianca
    your blog on the 1800′s really told me alot a facts on the gold miners and the transportion and all of the differnt shop’s that were in the 1800′s. Thanks for all this imformation and i hope you keep bloging more. From one of DK students in Illinois in the United States

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 7:15 pm      Reply

@ Joseph,

Thanks so much for your wonderful comment.
      I am so glad that you did learn alot more about the gold rush days in Australia.

Yes you are right during the gold rush days there were lots of different shops. It was very interesting walking into those shops when I visited Sovereign Hill.

Do you think you would have like to live in the 1800′s?

26. By: Kelsey on May 7, 2013 at 2:28 am      Reply

I hope you had a good time it looked like a lot of fun to see what it was like back in the 1800s.

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm      Reply

@ Kelsey,

Thanks for you super comment. I sure did have a good time thank you. Yes it really is strange to go back in time and I really have to say that I am so glad that I am here right now not back in the gold rush days.

Would you like to live in the gold rush days Kelsey?

27. By: EJO on May 7, 2013 at 2:30 am      Reply

Hi Bianca,
    I really liked your blog. What you said about Sovereign Hill was so interesting. I didn’t know it was so hard being a gold miner. The pictures you took were amazing. Keep up the great work.

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 4:47 pm      Reply

@ EJO,

Thanks for your great comment. You are so kind to say you like my blog thanks! Sovereign Hill is such an amazing place to visit I learn something new every time I visit.
      Yes been a miner was pretty awful for lots of reasons. Glad you liked the photos too. Do you like taking photos Ejo?

28. By: np on May 7, 2013 at 2:35 am      Reply

i have never been to Sovereign Hill but it sounds cool. For my birthday I just go to the pool with some of my friends. This sounds much more cool.

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 4:43 pm      Reply

@ Np,

Thanks for your great comment. It was cool visiting Sovereign Hill for my birthday I really enjoy Sovereign Hill. I love how you had a birthday party at the pool. I bet it was heaps of fun. I think a pool party is awesome fun.

29. By: Karli on May 7, 2013 at 2:49 am      Reply

Dear Biaca, I really enjoyed your blog you should post more of those

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 4:40 pm      Reply

@ Karli,

Thanks for writing a great comment on my blog. I am so glad you enjoy reading my blog. I hope to write up more blog posts but sometimes I do find writing post every week a bit of a challenge.

30. By: M.T. on May 7, 2013 at 2:52 am      Reply

i really like how You put in so much detail on how you got to go to Sovereign Hill. I hope you had a wonderful birthday

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 4:37 pm      Reply

@ M.T,

Thanks for you wonderful comment. I am glad you found my post about Sovereign Hill filled with a lot of details. I wanted to write more but I thought I better stop.
      My birthday was awesome thank you and thanks for asking.

31. By: Gracie on May 7, 2013 at 2:54 am      Reply

Dear Bianca,
    I love your blog so much. Me and my class are just learning to blog. Keep up the good work. Hope you blog more! Good luck!

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 4:34 pm      Reply

@ Gracie,

Thanks your wonderful comment you left me on my blog I really a very grateful. I am so happy to read that your class is starting a blog I hope you really enjoy blogging and good luck to you too with your class blog.

From your new blogging friend,
      BB :)

32. By: Hailey on May 7, 2013 at 3:04 am      Reply

Dear Bianca,

It sounds like you had fun at Sovereign Hill!I sounded very fun.

What I learned was quiet interesting. Like I never knew Miners got infections in there lungs from the debris.

Well, guess the only thing left to say is:HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

From fellow student,

Hailey

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 4:32 pm      Reply

@ Hailey,

Thanks you so much for taking the time to visit and write on my blog. I really love visiting Sovereign Hill as a matter of fact I am going again in a couple of weeks only this time with my grade.
      Poor miners they sure did get alot of infections especially in their lungs. Thanks for the lovely birthday wish too Hailey.

From your friend,
      BB :)

33. By: nancy on May 7, 2013 at 11:24 pm      Reply

very nice pictures

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 4:27 pm      Reply

@ Nancy,

Thank you for taking the time to write and visit my blog. I am so glad you liked the photos for my mum took most of the photographs on the day we went to Sovereign Hill.
      Do you like taking photos Nancy?

34. By: av on May 8, 2013 at 12:00 am      Reply

I like your blog

35. By: eric on May 8, 2013 at 12:34 am      Reply

i like your blog it teaches me about how miners mine for gold thank you

• By: BB on May 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm      Reply

@Eric,

Thanks for visiting my blog. You are so kind to say that you like my blog.
      It is amazing just how much you can learn when you visit all different blogs.

• By: BB on May 9, 2013 at 4:59 pm      Reply

@ Eric,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

I am so glad you like my blog because it teaches you about how miners used to mine for gold.

36. By: tysonwblcoll on May 8, 2013 at 10:02 am      Reply

Hello sounded fun at sovereign hill im new here at warnnambool if i was you i would go to the gold mines i would never survive in there but i liked ya post BB

• By: BB on May 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm      Reply

@ tysonwblcoll,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

It sure was fun at Sovereign Hill. That is awesome you are new at Warrnambool. I did go to the gold mines they were fun.

I am so glad you liked my post.

BB.

PS I have been to Warrnambool before and I loved visiting Warrnambool.

37. By: Johnny E on May 10, 2013 at 2:53 am      Reply

I loved your post!

I would like to mine for gold but it is definitely very scary to go down in the mine.

Hope you check out my blog @ http://kidblog.org/Classof2017CSRN/author/f62503e7-2a1c-4e71-a4a9-3d1d880d9511/

Sincerely, Johnny

• By: BB on May 10, 2013 at 5:17 pm      Reply

@ Johnny,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

I am so glad you liked my post.

That is awesome you would love to mine for gold it sure is very scary to go down in a mine.

I checked out your blog I am going to write a comment on your blog sooner than later.

38. By: Michael S on May 10, 2013 at 3:00 am      Reply

Dear Biaca,
    I loved your post. I wonder how it would have been to work in a gold mine. I hope you can check out my blog. http://kidblog.org/Classof2017CSRN/author/2bd81708-4ddb-42b7-b243-60b14046f7f0/
    sincerely,
    Michael

• By: BB on May 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm      Reply

@ Michael,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

I am so glad you loved my post. I think it would be pretty tough to work in a gold mine.

I checked your blog out and I am going to write on it sooner than later.

39. By: Miss Y on May 11, 2013 at 8:34 pm      Reply

Hi BB

A belated Happy Birthday to you!

What a great way to celebrate your birthday at Sovereign Hill. I love the photos your mum took of you!

I went on a camp to Sovereign Hill a few years ago with our Year Fives and we did the two day “Costumed School “education program where you stay over and live like people did back in the Gold Rush era. All of the students dressed in clothes worn by children at the time and then they were allocated to one of the schools and did lessons that the students would have done. The teachers had to get dressed too and I had to wear a dress with a big hoop and a petticoat under it – I’m glad I don’t have to wear it everyday!! At night we all went to see the light and sound show called “Blood on the Southern Cross”. It was the best camp I have ever been on and the students agreed!

You can read more about the “Costumed School” – http://www.sovereignhill.com.au/costumed-school/

It’s wonderful to see so many people commenting on your blog post BB!

Miss Y :D

• By: BB on May 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm      Reply

@ Miss Y,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

Thank you so much for saying Happy Birthday.

It sure was a wonderful way to spend my birthday at Sovereign Hill. I agree I love the photos mum took of me.

That would be awesome going to Sovereign Hill camp. I would love to dress as a school kid.

I hope we get to do that. My friend said that her brother when he went to Sovereign Hill they got dressed up.

I would love to see the show Blood on the Southern Cross.

I read about the Costumed School it sounds pretty cool.

I am so glad I got heaps of people writing on this post.

BB.

PS Thank you for the link

40. By: T.G on May 14, 2013 at 2:23 am      Reply

Happy late Birthday! i loved how you took time to right this blog and made it so deatailed.

• By: BB on May 14, 2013 at 6:23 pm      Reply

T.G.

Thanks for you lovely comment and wishing me a happy birthday.
      I am so happy to read that you enjoyed reading this post. Do you have a favourite place you like to visit?

41. By: Kelsey on May 14, 2013 at 2:24 am      Reply

dear @bb i would and would not want to because their are alot of ways of dieing young but it seems fun to go back and see time before all thease computers and ect. awesome blog :)

• By: BB on May 14, 2013 at 6:21 pm      Reply

@ Kelsey,

Thanks for you awesome comment. Yes it is fun to go back in time but it is always nice to come back home right now.
      You are so kind saying I have am awesome blog “thanks so much”

42. By: joseph on May 14, 2013 at 2:25 am      Reply

sometimes i wish i was living in the 1800′s but if i was i would’nt have computers, ps3, xbox, T.V. there would just be out side games which can be fun but sometimes you don’t have friends to hang outside with and then you can’t do anything unless you have a brother or a sister

• By: BB on May 14, 2013 at 6:19 pm      Reply

@ Joseph,

Thanks for your wonderful comment. You are so right back in the gold rush days you wouldn’t have no computers or ps3 of TV. Sure is a different way of living back then. Somehow play outside is heaps of fun too than sitting in front of a TV or computer and not forgetting hanging out with your friends.

Do you have a favourite game you like to play Joseph?

43. By: TOWNER on May 14, 2013 at 2:29 am      Reply

great blog those mines looked very cool but not cool to work in.I love sleeping in tents just not that cold.I thinck im going there if im lucky!

• By: BB on May 14, 2013 at 6:15 pm      Reply

@ Towner,

Thanks for writing a great comment on my blog. It can get very cold down in the mines. I really don’t like the idea of working down in the mines because of the dampness and the dust as well wet. Sleeping in a tent is heaps of fun.

44. By: Devin on May 14, 2013 at 2:30 am      Reply

Happy Birthday!
    Sounds like you learned alot.mining sounds very scary and exciting. thanks for all the facts. Your story was great! From, Devin

• By: BB on May 14, 2013 at 6:11 pm      Reply

@ Devin,

Thank you for taking the time to write on my blog and leaving a great comment.
      Glad to read that you learned a lot about the gold rush days. You are so right it was very scary and exciting, exciting if you found a piece of gold. I really think it would have been great to find a huge piece of gold during the gold rush days.

45. By: Paige on May 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm      Reply

Dear Bianca,

Happy birthday! I am girl from victoria to I go to upper plenty ps, to camps ago we went to sovereign hill it was so fun! My favourite part was the light show it was so fun!

from Paige

• By: BB on May 15, 2013 at 5:35 pm      Reply

@ Paige,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment and wishing me a Happy Birthday. You are so kind!
      I was so happy to read that you had been to Sovereign Hill too. I am going to Sovereign Hill next Thursday and staying back for the light show too.
      Did you enjoy the light show? The whole of the grade’s fives are going sadly we are only going up for one day.

When you went to Sovereign Hill did you go up for one day or did you stay overnight.

46. By: sciencegirl1125 on June 9, 2013 at 6:13 am      Reply

I can tell from your blog post that you enjoyed spending time at Sovereign Hill and that it proved to be a valuable experience for you. I especially enjoyed hearing about how you felt like you were a miner in the gold rush. Just recently I visited a Ukrainian Heritage Museum that took me back to the 1800s as well. When you are in these historical buildings, it is mesmerizing. Isn’t it wonderful that these sites are still around.

• By: BB on June 9, 2013 at 10:17 am      Reply

@ Sciencegirl125,
      Awesome comment and thank you for leaving a comment on my blog.

I am so glad that you can tell from my post that I enjoyed spending time at Sovereign Hill. It was a valuable experience for me and my family.

I sure did feel like a miner. That must have been fun going to a museum set in the 1800′s. I agree when you are in historical buildings it is mesmerizing.

That is true where we can see historical places.

Leave a response